Swedish Meatballs & Gravy
Delicious pork meatballs made in the Swedish style, with a rich homemade gravy. The ultimate comfort food.
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (crust removed)
- 1/4 tsp each nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 700g pork mince
- 3 1/2 Tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups salt reduced beef stock
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large rimmed baking tray with aluminum foil, spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add bread crumbs, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, 1 tsp salt (or to taste) and 1/2 tsp pepper to a large mixing bowl. Pour in milk and toss with a fork. Allow to rest whilst cooking onions.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a 30cm skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened and slightly golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 30 seconds.
- Add pork mince to the bread crumb mixture along with egg yolks and onion mixture. Combine mixture to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Scoop the mixture (about 2 tbsp each) and shape into balls. Transfer to prepared baking tray, spacing evenly apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile in the same skillet used to saute onions, melt remaining 3 1/2 Tbsp butter over medium-heat. Add flour and whisk until golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- While whisking, slowly pour in broth and cream. Add in Worcestershire sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. For a thicker consistency simmer over low heat for a few minutes.
- Add meatballs to warm sauce and toss, then sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm with egg noodles or mashed potato.