Satay Chicken Skewers
A BBQ favourite, these chicken skewers are flavoursome and tender and are served with a smooth peanut sauce.
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 kg boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-3cm chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp chili sauce, to taste
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- To make the peanut sauce, place the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, chili garlic sauce and ginger in a food processor and whizz to combine. Add in 2-3 tablespoons water until desired consistency is reached; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, brown sugar and fish sauce.
- Add the chicken, coating completely in the coconut milk and cover to make an air tight seal. Marinate for at least 2 hours to overnight, stirring the chicken occasionally to recoat.
- Drain the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade.
- Preheat the BBQ grill to medium high heat. Thread chicken onto skewers. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add skewers to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with peanut sauce.