Leg of Lamb with Olive Sauce and Radicchio Salad
From our friends at Australian Lamb, this recipe has a slightly different take on the traditional lamb roast, full of flavour and colour.
- 1½ kg lamb leg, bone-in, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ cup rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup mixed pitted olives
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp each fresh mint and flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Radicchio leaves tossed with pine nuts, olive oil and red wine vinegar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C.
- Make around 20 small 1cm slices (3mm depth) into the lamb, insert slice of garlic and sprig of rosemary into each opening. Rub lamb with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a roasting rack in a baking dish and cook for 20 minutes at 200⁰C, reduce heat to 170⁰C for a further 40 minutes for rare, 55 minutes for medium or 70 minutes for well done.
- Olive sauce: Gently fry olives in oil for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add garlic, anchovy and capers and fry for further 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add chopped herbs and lemon juice.
- Toss torn radicchio with oil, vinegar and pine nuts. Carve lamb against the grain and serve with salad and olive sauce.